William McConnaughy, CPA - Free IRS Tax Help Clinic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Affiliates
JustAnswer.com

Need Cash Fast?

TurboTax - Guides you like a GPS

Free e-book

Filing an amended return? Image-5318266-10853752

Filing an amended return? 576
Latest topics
» time limits on past year filings
Filing an amended return? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 10:34 pm by William D McConnaughy

» neighborhood association
Filing an amended return? EmptySat Apr 14, 2012 11:36 am by William D McConnaughy

» Claiming additional state tax on Federal Return
Filing an amended return? EmptyWed Apr 11, 2012 7:14 pm by William D McConnaughy

» Can I deduct repayments to a disability carrier?
Filing an amended return? EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 8:52 pm by William D McConnaughy

» Can I deduct repayments to a disability carrier?
Filing an amended return? EmptyFri Apr 06, 2012 2:07 am by Moljen5

» Criteria to be considered blind by the IRS
Filing an amended return? EmptySat Mar 24, 2012 5:16 am by William D McConnaughy

» Filing an amended return?
Filing an amended return? EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 2:19 pm by William D McConnaughy

» medical deductions
Filing an amended return? EmptyTue Mar 13, 2012 1:56 am by William D McConnaughy

» Form 1120 Schedule K Line 13
Filing an amended return? EmptyTue Mar 06, 2012 11:47 pm by William D McConnaughy

Filing an amended return?

2 posters

Go down

Filing an amended return? Empty Filing an amended return?

Post  kaylarussell88 Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:24 am

There was an unpaid student old loan that was in my name only. It was taken out of the joint tax return my husband and I filed, leaving us with only $23 from that return.
I just received a letter today stating that if the debt was completely my responsibility, then my husband could file as "injured spouse" and still get his portion of the tax return.

What I'm wondering is that since the debt has now been paid in full, can I even file an amended return or is it too late? Now that the debt is paid, do we stand a chance of getting his portion back?

My other question is that if we DO file an amended return, should we file as 'married filing separately' or do another as 'married filing jointly' and do what they called as "injured spouse''?

kaylarussell88

Back to top Go down

Filing an amended return? Empty Injured spouse refund

Post  William D McConnaughy Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:19 pm

You should go online and get the Injured Spouse form, IRS Form 8379, with instructions. It will tell you to file the form by itself, with copies of all W-2 forms attached to it. The form should be filed at the same service center where the original return was filed.

You will not need to file an amended return, Form 1040-X, unless there are other issues you need to correct on your original return, or if you need to claim a joint refund.

I recommend that you secure the services of a tax professional for this, as it can get rather tricky in filling the form out correctly. When you read the instructions for the form you will see what I mean.
William D McConnaughy
William D McConnaughy
Admin

http://www.TaxHelp.Pro

Back to top Go down